- Guided Tour of Mafia Island
- Sunset Cruise in Chole Bay
- Utende Village Tour
- Snorkelling and Scuba Diving
- Turtle Hatching in Juani Beach
- Chloe Island Walking Tour
- Guided Tour and History of Island
Arrival and Sunset Cruise - Mafia Island
Arrival and Airport Pickup
- You will be picked up at the airport by a representative from the Mafia Island Lodge who will be holding a sign with your name on it.
- A brief stop at the Mafia Island Lodge Entry Gate for Park Fee payment.
- Proceed to the Mafia Island Lodge for Check-In.
- Welcome Refreshment at Mafia Island Lodge
Sunset Cruise – Chole Bay
- A peaceful, relaxing cruise in the beautiful Chole Bay.
- The boat will depart at 5:30 P.M, you will be accompanied by a professional guide to ensure your trip goes smoothly and a captain who will man the rudder and ensure a safe sail through the Indian Ocean.
- A first-class view of the sun setting on the horizon. Even if it happens everyday, a sunset in Africa is a phenomenon that never ceases to amaze.
- The bursts of orange, red, and pink on the horizon offer an inspirational feeling and a beautiful moment full of opportunities, which should not be missed.
- Coffee, tea, and some light snacks are provided on the cruise.
Mafia Island Adventures - Snorkeling and Chloe Island Walk
Snorkeling: The waters surrounding Mafia Island offer an extraordinary variety of marine life and provide some of the most spectacular coral reefs on the East African coast. The marine diversity is among the highest in the Indian Ocean with over 400 species of fish, 5 species of marine turtle and 48 species of hard corals
Chole Island Tour: This walking tour has four sections:
- The Ruins: 12th & 19th Century Arabic & German ruins built during World War I. The ruins have surrendered to mother nature and are almost all smothered with green foliage and brown vines.
- The Bats: World’s first dedicated sanctuary for fruit bats (Comoro Flying Foxes) are found here. During the day, these creatures hang in the trees asleep and fly over to Mafia by night to feed.
- The Boatyard: Chole island is home to the skilled men who build the traditional Swahili dhows by hand and with minimal tools.
- The Red Herring: This is Chole’s beautiful bar, which is also the only West-facing bar on the Eastern side of the Island, allowing for truly magical sun-downers and of course lovely cold beverages to go down with it.
Mafia Island Adventures - Turtle Hatching and Diving
Turtle Hatching: Between June and September, hundreds of baby turtles make their instinctive scramble from the white sandy beaches to the warm Indian Ocean waters. At Mafia, you will be fortunate enough to be able to witness this natural spectacle from the Eastern beach of Juani, an island bursting with nature from the tiniest of butterflies to the giant baobab trees.
Scuba Diving (Two Separate Dives): Trained diving assistants handle all equipment, help divers and check their equipment so that you are free to enjoy the dives and all other activities during each day.
Utende Village Tour and Return to Mombasa
Utende Village Tour
In Utende Village, you may explore the different stalls for shopping while learning the culture of the people. They sell a variety of souvenirs such as traditional clothes, artwork, and Masai jewelry. If time allows there is also the opportunity to buy material and have the local tailor make you a personalized piece of clothing such as trousers or dresses.
Arrival and Airport Pickup
- You will be picked up at the airport by an IMA representative who will be holding a sign with your name.
- Proceed to the Program Residence in Nyali, Mombasa where you will be introduced to IMA’s local staff.
- Welcome Lunch at Residence