- Best Route to Africa’s Highest Peak
- Led by Most Experienced Mountain Guides
- Accommodations Pre and Post Climb
- Sunrise Summit to Roof of Africa
- Camp Amenities for Comfort, Safety, and Nourishment
- Travel Medical Insurance Coverage for Climbers
- Fully Equipped and Insured Porters
- Personal Equipment Rental
Arrival & Pre-Climb Orientation
Arrival and Airport Pickup – Kilimanjaro (JRO)
- You will be picked up at the airport by an IMA Safaris Africa representative who will be holding a sign with your name.
- You will be transferred to Moshi and check-in at the Kilimanjaro Wonders Hotel
- Welcome Lunch at Kilimanjaro Wonders Hotel
Pre-Climb Orientation by Baraka D – Professional Mountain Guide
- Baraka will meet you at the hotel and take you through what to expect during the trek and go through a comprehensive, day-to-day climb schedule.
- Further, he will provide you with information regarding safety procedures/precautions during the climb.
- All of your equipment will be checked and if you require any additional items, Baraka will direct you to local vendors to rent/purchase any additional equipment.
Dinner at Kilimanjaro Wonders Hotel
- Dinner will be available at the hotel’s restaurant beginning at 6:00 PM and you may have dinner at any time before 9:00 PM
Machame Camp (Machame Gate 1800m to Machame Hut 2835m)
- You will be picked up from the Kilimanjaro Wonders Hotel at around 8 AM after breakfast for approximately a one-hour drive to the Machame Gate of Mt. Kilimanjaro National Park.
- You will complete park registration then proceed to meet the crew of porters and begin the trek.
- The first section of the route ascends steadily and involves traversing through magnificent forests.
- This path is less well-trodden and is often wet and muddy.
- Camp, Dinner and Overnight at Machame Camp (2835 m)
Trekking Time: 4-6 hours
Distance: 11 km
Altitude Gain: 1035 m
Shira Plateau (Machame Hut 2835m to Shira Camp 3750m)
- On the second day of the climb, you will continue up a steep track through a savannah of tall grasses, volcanic rocks, and bearded heathers on the Shira Plateau.
- Looking back, you will be able to see Mt. Meru rising high above Arusha town in the distance.
- Camp, Dinner and Overnight at Shira Cave (3750 m)
Trekking Time: 4-6 hours
Distance: 5 kms
Altitude Gain: 915 m
Barranco Camp (Shira Camp 3750m to Barranco Camp 3900m via Lava Tower Camp 4600m)
- On the third day of the climb, you will be walking on high moorland and the new landscape changes the entire character of the trek.
- You will traverse the southwest side of Mt. Kilimanjaro, passing underneath the Lava Tower and the final section of the Western Breach. Finally, you will ascend the Barranco Wall.
- The day has been spent at an altitude of up to 4600 m, following the mountaineering code of ‘walk high, sleep low’ to avoid altitude sickness by aiding our bodies in acclimatization.
- Camp, Dinner and Overnight at Barranco Camp (3900 m)
Trekking Time: 5-7 hours
Distance: 9 km
Altitude Gain: 150m
Karanga Valley (Barranco Camp 3900m to Karanga Camp 3995m)
- The day starts with a descent into the beginning of the Great Barranco, which is a huge ravine.
- You then exit steeply, up what has been termed as the Breakfast Wall, which divides Barranco from the southeastern slopes of Kibo. It is a climb over rocks, not technical but long and tiring. Passing underneath the Heim and Kersten glaciers then heading towards the Karanga Valley.
- Camp, Dinner and Overnight at Karanga Camp (3995m)
Trekking Time: 3.5-4 hours
Distance: 6 km
Altitude Gain: 95m
Uhuru Peak (Barafu Camp 4673m to Mweka Camp 3100m via the Peak)
- On day 6 of the trek, you will begin your ascent around midnight, walking steeply upwards to the Summit glaciers.
- You will be climbing scree for 6 to 7 hours and will gain incredible height over a short distance. The views are spectacular. You should be on the crater rim at Stella Point (5756m) as the first rays of the sun emerge.
- Spectacular ice cliffs within the crater surround you and the views to Mawenzi peak and beyond are breathtaking.
- Another hour’s walk takes you to the main goal and that is the summit of Uhuru (5895m), the highest point on the African continent; Uhuru means freedom in Swahili.
Trekking Time: 6-8 hours
Altitude Gain: 1222m
Descent to Millennium Camp
- You will begin your descent by returning to Stella Point and then descending on a scree slope back to Barafu Camp for breakfast before heading down to Millennium Camp (3950m) for a well-earned rest.
- On the descent, you have fabulous views of the plains and Mawenzi peak.
- Camp, Dinner and Overnight at Millennium Camp (3950m)
Trekking Time: 6-8 hours
Distance: 12 km
Altitude Loss: 1945m
Mweka Gate/Arusha (Mweka Camp 3100m to Mweka Gate 1640m)
- A gentle trek takes you down through the rain forest to the Mweka Gate (1640m), where you complete park formalities including being awarded with a Certificate of Ascent courtesy of the Kilimanjaro National Park Authority and drive back to the Hotel in Arusha
Trekking Time: 3-4 hours
Distance: 10 km
Altitude Loss: 1460m
Pick Up from Hotel to Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO)